Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Change

Six years back, i can still vividly remember the day that had the whole world stood still. Having quite nice lunch back at my polytechnic`s canteen with my frens, my meal of chicken chop soon went out of my palatte and soon my eyes were on the hall`s quite small large screen tv, looking on as those two towers in New York were being bambozzled left and right. Intially, i never gave a thought or even a whisker of an idea that this event will affect me in a lot of ways. Hey i was just a 17 year old lad with girls to chase, being so committed in my cultural endeavours, more girls to chase, doing well in my first semester ,and still more girls to chase.

As news of the terror attacks filtered through the campus, i began to feel a certain kind of resentment from my classmates. `Hey u are muslim right ?What do u have to say to all these? U support that Bin laden fella ? are u a terrorist?' are the standard kind of questions that tend to irritate me a lot during that month. "Yah of course i`m muslim. Tht`s it!" were the standard reply to them. Nevertheless, the definition of being a muslim to me during that time were just:

1)Hari Raya Puasa
2)Fasting for Hari raya
3)Making Ketupat( Those Green cute malay style dumplings) for Hari raya
4)Friday Prayers
5)Being at geylang Serai to Wonder about at the festivities
6)Just being `into` the groove of a canonical Malay Muslim Teenager

Little did i know today in history was the start of a catalyst that spurred me on to find the true meaning of being a muslim, practising a religion that is very much misunderstood by people in the world. This will take me on an neverending journey ,a spritual quest ,that has never stopped its course till now.

The next following posts,God Willing, i would try to be my own memiorist, looking back.........



Times Of My Life


Good morning, yesterday
You wake up and time has slipped away
And suddenly it's hard to find
The memories you left behind
Remember, do you remember?

The laughter and the tears
The shadows of misty yesteryears
The good times and the bad you've seen
And all the others in between
Remember, do you remember
The times of your life?

Reach out for the joy and the sorrow
Put them away in your mind
The mem'ries are time that you borrow
To spend when you get to tomorrow

Here comes the saddest part
The seasons are passing one by one
So gather moments while you may
Collect the dreams you dream today
Remember, will you remember
The times of your life?

No comments: